Monday, November 16, 2009

Painful News

This past couple of weeks I was a part of a LifeAction Summit (www.lifeaction.org) at our church. My soul was awakened as the Holy Spirit called me to step up in some areas of my life, where the world had lulled me to sleep in apathy.

Before the Summit, we had experienced a great deal of pain with regard to my mother's failing health. Even in the midst of the Summit, we were making some hard decisions with that situation. Stunned and grieving, I hung on every word knowing I needed to meditate on His word for daily wisdom and comfort.

I wrote this profound quote from Watchman Nee -- "We never learn anything new about God except by adversity." I began to understand this perspective because it is how He shows himself faithful, being good to us in a specific way that ministers to the very heart He made in us.

And this weekend I applied it again. And it is painful.

My precious brother-in-law Matt has been diagnosed this weekend with Stage 4 Cancer. It is in his colon and his liver. He is 39. A godly man with a beautiful wife and 3 young children that we adore. He starts chemotherapy the week of Thanksgiving.

Defying circumstance, 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 says "Pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." And so I will pray. without ceasing. with expectancy. Not because I want a magic trick from God. But because I believe that with Him anything is possible. I wrote recently in my Bible that I don't worship my faith, I worship the One in whom I have great faith.

And I believe it still without apology. And I know He is good despite the prognosis and method of treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment