Thursday, January 7, 2010

Me and My Fashionistas



I have officially reached a no-man's land moment in parenting...my oldest child and I can share shoes. And I receive actually sound fashion advice from my 11 yo and 9 yo. Except my 11yo is more like her mama...shopping is a necessity, not a hobby. Us practical first-borns who really are more interested in kicking somebody's tail in a good tennis game. And then there are fashionistas M and SB. Especially M who spent about 5 minutes the other morning before church explaining how she "loves my curly hair but it is really big mommy and since you are up on the stage this morning, it is a distraction..." Mid-sentence I realized she sounds just like my mom. And I cracked up. This going along with the specific advice given on how I should tie my scarf to wear to church ("to church" is the pattern here because it is a special day when I wear makeup and wear something besides jeans/tshirt so any fashion advice is given when I am going to church--other days may appear hopeless to them). The advice goes something like "mommy see the neckline of your shirt is v-neck and your scarf should follow the neckline. Tie it like this. (and in no less than 10 seconds it looked perfect)." It is good to be surrounded by fashion police as long as they remain tactful. And I really shouldn't say "especially M" because I have never seen such excitement as the day SB purchased these bling-ish monogrammed "S" knee-highs which got worked into every non-uniform outfit for about 6 months at mine and P's last count. This is when you realize that they are all so different, no matter how alike you parent them. I do not think I have painted my fingernails literally in the last 10 years, and I have these kids that spend time decorating their fingernails to look like dice and think top coat is the best invention ever. And it is those moments that I realize how much of my mother is in them--and I absolutely love it. That's not "me" but it is definitely her:) And I miss her.

I think also I could make the argument that this could be the result of being confined to a uniform for school all week long, that they feel the need to prove that the fashion knowledge is there, just unable to be applied Monday thru Friday. Such a hard life they lead. And since mom is not here now to help me out in these areas where I am woefully deficient, it is a good thing she left her fashionistas behind to take up the cause. She would be proud of her girls:)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know your girls (really), but I just love them. I love their fashion tips. It made me even stop and think about their advice for a minute for my own dressing.

    I think of you often. I can not imagine how much you miss your mother. I know that there are good and bad days, but I pray you have more good than bad. Still praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I've been reading your blog lately and I guess I need to be updated about your mom. I didn't know you had lost her. I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and your sweet family. God is so good to never leave or forsake. He takes such sweet care of His children. I know you are in good hands (the best of hands.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this post....and I've thought a lot about the amazing legacy Martha left....for about a month, my mind has dwelled on this. God does show his love and compassion to the thousand of generations...YOU are a precious legacy, and then her children's remarkable four children, and their children. God's mercies will be new for the challenges of EACH new day! I'm telling you--you can count on that!

    ReplyDelete